6.16.2011

father's day bean frame


The time has come once again for any dads, husbands or grandpas to turn their heads away (or at least pretend they aren't reading this...)

In between all the craziness of yesterday, (fyi -- we're looking good in the baby department! The doctor said he was "definitely" not breech...yesterday anyway, I guess who knows what could happen...) Henry and I made a little time to put together this Father's Day gift for Joe and his Grandpas: (also) Joe and Bob. 

I saw the original idea for the project here.

I thought the project seemed kind of perfect because a) it was simple enough for Henry to help with and b) I could incorporate some soybeans in the project, which is cool because both Joe's dad (and sometimes Joe) farm soybeans. This extra personal touch to the gift made it that much cooler in my eyes... 

(No worries though if you don't have relatives that are *all.about* soybeans. Beyond recently discussing edamame as a family, my dad has little connection to the legume. Even so, I know he'll appreciate his picture frame and the work Henry put into it all the same.)

We started with just a few very simple supplies: three plain picture frames, some dried beans (soybeans and black beans), and glue. We used hot glue here...but I would *not* recommend this if you are going to work on this project with a kid. Henry had a lot of trouble keeping his fingers out of the glue, and even though we used a "low-heat" glue gun, he still found it uncomfortable when it stuck to his fingers. Plus all those hot glue strings drove us both *crazy*.

(To be honest, I think if I had thought about this at all, it's pretty obvious that 4-year-old + hot glue does not = success...but we had a hot glue gun hanging around and I thought it would be faster and more efficient. Anyway, pretty much any type of thicker craft glue would likely work better for this project...) 

The steps to this project are pretty straight forward, simply grab some beans and start gluing...

We didn't have a whole lot of rhyme or reason to our patterns, and we worked our way up to the more complex ones, but for the most part, we just kind of spread a little glue on the frame, and threw some beans on top of it.

Another downside of the hot glue, was that you have to work *super* fast to get the beans down before the glue dries. Henry and I both got a little stressed out about this, and we *may.or.may.not* have been known to shout at each other, "Move your hands! You're in my way!!!"

Anyway, in the end we made it through the project with not *too* many punches thrown, and some pretty cool looking frames to boot...

(You can see from this photo that there are still a few residual hot glue "strings"on the frames that we will need to remove. But I was apparently too lazy to do that before taking this photo...)

Also, I didn't really anticipate how "tribal-y" the final products would end up looking, but I think that might be mainly due to the color scheme we used. If you were to throw in some kidney beans (red) or split peas (green) you would probably come out with a whole new look...

Happy (early) Father's Day to all you dad's out there! The 3 dad's in Henry's life are some of the best men I know...what would he do without you???

No comments:

Post a Comment